Throughout history, the movement of the skies has been a source of fascination and an inspiration for both mythology and exploration. Much folklore surround eclipses, when one celestial body passes through the shadow of another. Often these have been interpreted as powerful portents or divine acts. In this class, we will explore the history of human understanding of eclipse events and trace the evolution of the science that led to the current view of the mechanics of the Earth-Moon-Sun system and the solar system as a whole. From this foundation we develop the means to predict and observe directly these events when they occur. Finally we build pinhole cameras that allow participants to SAFELY observe the sun and its interactions with all that orbit in its gravitational pull. These classes are led by high-level, fun-loving, scientists who will also introduce and discuss exciting new research revealing the existence other earths, moons and suns similar to our own.
Course Title: Eclipse
Date: August 13, 2019
Time: 1:00 p.m - 4:00 p.m.
Location: College-Rolando Branch Library
Address: 6600 Montezuma Rd.
Course Level: Elementary
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.