Age Group:Elementary School Age
The geology of San Diego is as global as it is local. While the San Andreas Fault ~80 miles to our Northeast gets a lot of attention did you know of the major faults run right through downtown San Diego? Did you know our bays are relic canyons from the last ice age? This course tours how these various natural forces play in and around San Diego, including your own neighborhood. Over the course of this class we will tour various canyons, coastlines, and mountains within the region investigating in real time the clues our rock record leaves about how things came to be. Students will simulate some of the processes that shape the world around them, developing a greater model for their place in the natural world.
This is an in-person workshop.
*Please read all the information below!
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided in whole or in part by the Library Foundation SD.
If you need special accessibility accommodations, information and program content can be made available in alternative formats upon request. To request disability-related modifications or accommodations, please email LibraryNExT@sandiego.gov
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact the Program Coordinator at LibraryNExT@sandiego.gov
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.