Calling all teen writers! Join San Diego Public Library's 2022 Teen Writing Contest, Rattle the Page! All teens in grades 6-12 in the San Diego County area are invited to submit a short story which will be judged by a panel of SDPL librarians.
This year's theme is Hope.
This contest is limited to San Diego County youth in middle school and high school. Middle school and high school will be judged as separate categories.
- Entries should center around the theme of “hope,” however one interprets it: the search for it, the lack of it, the need for it, etc.
- Entries should be previously unpublished.
- Entries should be typed (preferred) or handwritten clearly and legibly.
- Should you need to type your contest entry, you can come into any San Diego Public Library and use one of our public computers
- All stories, regardless of format, should not include your name or any other identifying details as entries will be judged blind.
- Entries must be between 1,000 -3,000 words and entirely the work of the author. No copyrighted characters or settings should be used in the work.
- Submissions should be appropriate for a general audience.
- By submitting this entry form, you give the San Diego Public Library permission to reproduce creative works resulting from your (or your child’s) participation in this contest.
- Submissions can be submitted digitally (preferred) via e-mail to TeenCenter@sandiego.gov or through the electronic form. They can also be turned in in person to your local San Diego Public Library. A signed entry form must be submitted with your short story.
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
- Limit of two entries per person.
Entries will be judged on theme, style, voice, creativity, and technical proficiency.
Winners for each age group will receive:
- 1st Place – Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones, a gift card, and access to writing software Scrivener
- 2nd Place – Instax Camera and Film, a gift card, and access to writing software Scrivener
- 3rd Place – Lenovo 7” Tablet, gift card, and access to writing software Scrivener
Our top entries will be collected in a volume that will be available for checkout at the library, and published online. Winners will be announced at the end of September!