Age Group:Elementary School Age
Students will deepen their understanding of maps as they explore the history of mapping and learn how maps are created. Students will trace the evolution of maps from antiquity to cutting-edge technology and learn the basics of cartography by manually drawing maps. Student also will get an introduction to GIS (Geographic Information Systems), GPS (Global Positioning Systems) and digital map creation. They will use the maps they create in interactive games.
This is a virtual workshop.
*24 hours prior to the class, the instructor will email out the Zoom link, pass code and other possible instructions!
*Please read all the information below!
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided in whole or in part with the State of California, administered by the California State Library, and the Community Development Block Program funds provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to the City of San Diego.
In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
If you need special accessibility accommodations, information and program content can be made available in alternative formats upon request. To request disability-related modifications or accommodations, please email JFRogers@sandiego.gov
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT at LibraryNExT@sandiego.gov
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.