Age Group:Elementary School Age , Middle School Age , Teens , Emerging Adults , Adults , Older Adults
Whether you are more a fan of Emily Bronte's classic 1847 novel "Wuthering Heights" or Kate Bush's 1978 song adaptation, we invite you to express your inner Cathy at The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever! Don a red dress and dance to Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" in the Pacific Beach Library's park, using the moves that Kate Bush immortalized in her music video. Afterwards, we invite you to hang out in our park: we'll spin some tunes and you can bring picnic supplies.
Registration is not required, but is encouraged so that we'll have an idea of how many people to expect. If you are active on Facebook, we encourage you to also join our Most Wuthering San Diego group, to get updates leading up to the event.
You can learn the choreography on your own by practicing with videos, or by attending any/all of the 7 in-person Wuthering Heights Dance Drop-In Rehearsals that will be held in July at the Pacific Beach Library, on Mondays at 6pm, Wednesdays at 1pm, and on Saturday 7/16 at 12pm.
Here are some videos to help you learn the choreography:
- Wuthering Dance Tutorial from Reno Wutherers: https://youtu.be/Y5vzVOkcATU (includes modifications and spoken instructions to help you learn the steps easily)
- Montreal Wuthering Tutorial: https://youtu.be/IziOMwBu7ws (this video is designed so that you can mirror what the instructor is doing)
- Step by Step Wuthering Dance Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJ8wfl63oc (this video is longer than the others because the instructor really breaks down how to do each of the steps)
- Shambush Instructional Video : https://youtu.be/kNa1QBNkpxs (Shambush created both this video and the event's concept, and all dance move names are part of Shambush’s Ultimate Kate Bush Experience script and are their intellectual property)
The recommended costume is a red dress, similar what Kate Bush wore in her music video. You can repurpose red clothes you already own, buy a red dress, or make one of your own. If you'd like to try your hand at sewing your own dress, you can find costuming tutorials on the San Diego Public Library's YouTube channel.
The Most Wuthering Heights Day Ever is inspired by our Wuthermothers, Shambush, who created and presented this event in 2013.
Can't quite picture what this event might look like?
- Here is Kate Bush's video for "Wuthering Heights" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-4lXLM34g
- Why Wuther? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpO9D6qHZVA