Ever wonder why airplanes resemble birds? Why submarines are shaped like whales? It's because of biomimicry, an approach to development that creates solutions to human challenges by imitating the designs of nature. In this class, we will explore the development of biomimicry and learn how fields like engineering, architecture and music intertwine with biology to influence the structures, technologies and sounds we see and hear every day. Students will create a prosthetic hand, biology-inspired structure or musical recording to take home.
*Please read all the information below!
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please email LibraryNExT@sandiego.gov in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT Programming at LibraryNExT@sandiego.gov
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.
Please use an email address that you will be sure to check for important notifications.
Special Notations for Virtual Classes:
Be sure to check your email for a POSSIBLE supply kit to be picked up at a contactless-service library location. Not every class has a supply kit.
- *24 hours prior to the class, the instructor will email out the Zoom link, pass code and other possible instructions!
- Information and program content can be made available in alternative formats upon request. To request disability-related modifications or accommodations, please emailJFRogers@sandiego.gov