Using an Arduino Nano to control a color sensor and LEDs, participants will create a Bit-a-bot which responds to the color of the food it eats. Participants will learn more about how a color sensor distinguishes different colors and translates them for the Arduino to read as they complete their circuit. Tutors will also help participants learn to structure their code to incorporate components of their circuit. Combining the participant’s knowledge of the color sensor and code, they will be able to make their Bit-a-bot’s eyes gleam in the color of its food! Warning, the Bit-a-bot’s teeth are sharper than they seem…
Kits are created by UC San Diego's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering student led organization, Project-in-a-Box.
No experience required!
A Middle School or High School student must be participating.
Limit 1 kit per household.
Check your email to receive a notice about how to pick up your kit!
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please email email@example.com in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions, or grievances about Project-in-a-Box, please contact LYee@sandiego.gov.
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD Dept. of Computer and Electrical Engineering and the student organization, Project-In-A-Box. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth learning environment.
- I understand that I will register through the Library Event Calendar and that my registration must be fully complete to attend the class.
- If there is more than one student in attendance they must register as well. Adults are allowed to attend without registering.
- I understand that I am responsible for canceling my registration if I am unable to attend.
This project is supported in whole or in part by funding provided by the State of California, administered by the California State Library.
*PARENTS: If you are willing to have an image of your student taken for promotional and funding purposes, please fill out the Model Release form, sign, and email it back to LYee@sandiego.gov. Thank you!
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.