Filmmaking is a powerful vehicle for making sense of our lives and sharing the stories we want to tell. Learn the skills you need, from scripting and storyboarding to editing and audio, to express your point of view through creation of short films. We will start with an introduction to film theory and move on to the basics of video production, including composition, editing and audio. Students will consider the role stories play in our everyday lives and think about the stories they want to tell. Then, working in groups, students will storyboard, script, film and edit their own short films. Group members will switch roles throughout the week to gain exposure to various facets of filmmaking. We will watch rough cuts of each other’s work and offer constructive critiques. In addition to producing their own videos, students will watch and discuss a variety of short films.
*Video Recording device (smartphone or camera) Cable to upload video to computer (if needed) Access to a computer with video editing software (preferably iMovie) or openshot.org (which is free).
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT
programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please email email@example.com in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT Programming at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth learning environment.
- I understand that I will register through the Library Event Calendar and that my registration must be fully complete to attend the class.
- If there is more than one student in attendance they must register as well. Adults are allowed to attend without registering.
- I understand that I am responsible for cancelling my registration if I am unable to attend.