We all know it’s important to recycle to slow the flow of trash into overstuffed landfills. Now discover how to put a creative spin on recycling by “upcycling” – turning trash into treasures such as art pieces or useful objects. We will explore how trash can be transformed using different techniques and art mediums. But first students will consider how much waste they produce and discuss the importance of reducing, reusing and recycling in their daily lives. They will learn the difference between recycling and upcycling and then brainstorm ways to create artistic, useful and valuable products from discarded materials. As they work on individual and group upcycling projects, students will be encouraged to take creative risks and cultivate imagination, persistence and collaboration. The class will help students understand that they have an important role to play in protecting our planet.
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this programs.
*CHECK YOUR EMAIL CONFIRMATION FOR POSSIBLE SUPPLY KIT TO PICK UP SAFELY FROM A LIBRARY!
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please email email@example.com in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT Programming at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth learning environment.
- I understand that I will register through the Library Event Calendar and that my registration must be fully complete to attend the class.
- If there is more than one student in attendance they must register as well. Adults are allowed to attend without registering.
- I understand that I am responsible for cancelling my registration if I am unable to attend.