A growing body of research shows that spending time outdoors benefits us physically, emotionally and mentally. Explore the science behind these benefits and learn how to get more nature into your day-to-day life. The average person is awake for 16 hours a day but only spends two of those hours outdoors. We will look at what research tells us about how spending time in nature affects our brains and our bodies. Students will learn how much outdoor time is needed to experience positive effects. We will also look at how to overcome barriers to spending time outdoors and survey great nature spots to visit in San Diego County.
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT Programming at email@example.com
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth learning environment.
- I understand that I will register through the Library Event Calendar and that my registration must be fully complete to attend the class.
- If there is more than one student in attendance they must register as well. Adults are allowed to attend without registering.
- I understand that I am responsible for cancelling my registration if I am unable to attend.