Join us to explore cooking through a scientific lens. Students will sniff and taste several test tubes bursting with different spices and learn about combining flavors. We will test the “map of the tongue” theory and talk taste buds. In our food lab, students will choose a base of either applesauce or plain yogurt, add flavors and textures for customized pizzazz, and enjoy their tasty snack in class. Together we will learn about Chaim Gur-Arieh, PhD, and Pamela Low, food science biochemists who co-invented Cap'n Crunch cereal.
For safety reasons, no open flame will be used in this class. Any necessary cooking will be accomplished using a small toaster oven, a single hot plate or a microwave. All participants must abide by the safety rules. No prior experience is necessary.
This project is funded in whole or in part with Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program funds provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to the City of San Diego.
All participants are welcome. If you need special accessibility accommodations, please call (619) 236-5807 or email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of your participation.
If you have comments, questions or grievances about Library NExT, please contact Library NExT Programming at email@example.com
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.