Due to circumstances beyond our control, this program has been cancelled. We hope to reschedule in 2020!
The many wonders of chocolate, from the biochemical effects on humans to how and why it changes state are probed in this Library NExT course. We look at the history of the cocoa tree, including how it is processed and which chemicals contribute to the unique chocolate taste. Budding bakers will run an edible experiment and make chocolate cookies.
For safety reasons no open flame will be used in this class. Any necessary cooking is accomplished using a small toaster oven, a single hot plate or a microwave. All participants must abide by the safety rules. No prior experience required.
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.