There are 20 seats remaining.
A large number of creatures call the ocean home, and many of them are mammals. In this workshop, students will explore the characteristics of marine mammals, especially the dolphins, whales and seals found off the California coast. Through hands-on activities, students will learn about marine mammal adaptations, such as echolocation in whales and locomotion in seals and sea lions. Students will also study coloration and fur patterns by sculpting marine mammals in clay to take home. The goal of this course is to leave students with a better understanding of California marine mammals and how we can make simple changes in our lives to help preserve these fascinating creatures.
Note: All students will be required to have an approved food release form signed by their parent or guardian. Students who do not have an approved form cannot participate in the class.
Course Title: MARINE MAMMALS OF CALIFORNIA
Time: 4:00 PM-7:00 PM
Location: Skyline Hills Library
Address: 7900 Paradise Valley Rd., San Diego, CA 92139
Course Level: Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
Space is limited, advance registration is required.
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant program requires us to collect household income information as part of the registration. All the information collected is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
Registration Policy and Procedures:
- I understand students must attend all classes.
- I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
- I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
- I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
- I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
- I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.