Library NExT’s Messy Science class offers hands-on learning activities, including the opportunity to design structures and test their resiliency. Students explore concepts such as tsunamis, landslides, permafrost, glaciers, and sea level rise. Learn why and how things ooze, what makes an explosion and the hidden reason why some things can spin and others cannot. Come prepared to make a mess.
The San Diego Public Library and UC San Diego Extension are proud to bring all Library NExT programming to you for free, thanks to funding provided by the federal government. In order to keep these programs free, the federal organization—the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Community Development Block Grant program—needs a completed version of the PDF before your student starts the workshop. All the information collected in this document is confidential and is only used for tracking to provide funds for this program.
Note: All students will be required to have an approved food release form signed by their parent or guardian. Students who do not have an approved form cannot participate in the class.
Course Title: Messy Science
Location: Skyline Hills Branch Library
Address: 7900 Paradise Valley Road, San Diego, CA 92139-1435
Course Level: Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
Space is limited, advance registration is required.
Registration Policy and Procedures:
· I understand students must attend all classes.
· I understand students should arrive promptly for class and stay for the full duration of the class.
· I understand this class is part of a partnership with UCSD. These classes differ from our regular programs in that they offer more of a structured, in-depth, and hands-on learning environment.
· I understand I am responsible for arranging transport with/for my student(s) promptly at the start and end of the class.
· I understand students should treat each other with respect; failure to do so could result in being dropped from the class.
· I understand that a break will be included in the program and students are encouraged to bring water and a snack.
By registering for the class, I agree and understand the restrictions, policies, and procedures outlined above.